OFS is a leading edge designer, manufacturer and supplier of optical fiber and cable, specialty fiber optic products and solutions for a wide variety of applications and industries. OFS has a proven track record of being first in the industry with new application specific products.
As a leader in optical innovations, we are searching for a Mechanical Design Engineer located at our facility in Somerset, NJ. The incumbent will design, develop and improve new equipment and for new products (components, modules and systems) in the Fiber laser business of OFS.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Based on internal and external customer specifications, design and build the mechanical/thermal hardware for prototype lasers. This includes:
- Design of the mechanical packaging using software such as SolidWorks (preferred), including overall package construction, layout of optical components and routing of optical fibers.
- Perform thermal analysis.
- Design, build and test fixtures that can be used to accelerate product assembly and test assembly stations.
- Interact with outside vendors to ensure correct delivery of designs.
- Incorporate electronics requirements.
- Work closely with development, engineering and production team to support equipment and product solutions.
- Perform other related duties as required by management.
- Maintain a safe and professional work environment consistent with company and departmental safety guidelines/procedures.
Key Qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or Technology
- Position requires 3-5 years mechanical engineering experience within a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of engineering principles, i.e. stress, deflection and motor size requirement calculations
- 3D Solid Modeling (SolidWorks preferred)
- Excellent problem solving ability
- Proficient in thermal analysis software is a plus
- Proficient in LabVIEW is a plus
- Prior experience in working with fiber optic components is a plus
- Project Management
- Constructive working relationships with diverse groups and individuals
- Ability to develop creative solutions
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate effective communications (verbal, written) skills
- Proficient with MS Office Word and Excel
- Maintain discretion when working with confidential and proprietary information
- Strict adherence to Company safety policies and procedures
- Conform to all aspects of OFS鈥 鈥淪tandards of Conduct鈥 document
- Employees are expected to serve as role models for safe work practices and behaviors. This includes following established health and safety policies and procedures, maintaining a clean, organized work area, wearing, and properly storing all personal protective equipment (PPE), and actively engaging as a safety conscious worker with personal safety and wellness as a priority
Working at OFS means having the opportunity to realize ideas, experience innovation and discover new solutions for the future. In addition to our dynamic work environment, we offer competitive salaries and generous benefits programs, including medical, dental and a matching 401(k) plan.
If you鈥檇 like to be part of an energetic world leader in optic fibers solutions, please submit your resume (including salary information) by clicking on the button below to begin the self-identification process.
OFS Fitel, LLC, a Georgia based global company, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.
All interested candidates, who possess the skills and experience to be successful in this position, can submit a resume by clicking on the button below to begin the self-identification process.
Note: Only those candidates selected for the interview process will be contacted.